Friday, May 1, 2009

NT 90

My church has embarked upon reading through the New Testament in 90 days. I will try to keep my posts that I am blogging on the church site here.

John 4-6
I am struck at how Jesus always seems to get at the true problem and face it head on. Take for instance the woman at the well, Jesus knew that she was not living a righteous life but wanted her to see the need that she had. Isn’t it like that today, Jesus wants us to realize our need of him so that we will come to him asking for the “water” that we so desperately need. My prayer is that each of us that has the Lord will look for the opportunities to share the living water with the “Samaritian’s” in our lives. Jesus was about kingdom work and so should we be today for the fields are ready for the harvest we need only go to work.

John 7-9

In my life I have played all three parts I am ashamed to say. I have been the one wrapped up in my sins and I have been forgiven. There have been times though that I have been the one wanting to accuse and I must always balance that out with being like Jesus and be the one that can show compassion to those that are wrapped up in their sins. All of us need to remember that Jesus has forgiven us and so he can forgive others no matter what. We need to be about telling people or reminding those that know that Jesus is about “Second Chances”.

John 10-12

I am struck by the good shepherd story and how Jesus says that his sheep hear his voice and follow it. I am struck at how often in my own life that I have heard his voice and then not followed it right away and it has always lead to heartache. I have also found that when I really listen to his voice and do what he wants me to there is always enough provision for me to get the job done. My prayer is that through this adventure into Gods word that we will take the time to hear the voice of Jesus and follow after him. The kingdom work is ready to be done he is just waiting on us to accomplish it.

John 13-15

When looking at these passages here in the final days of Jesus you can sense the urgency to show his disciples that he cares for them now and will continue to care for them. I agree with Tom that he is pleading with them to finally get it but they don’t. I am sure that if I was one of the twelve I would have gotten it (lol). I find it hard at times now to get it let alone being there in the moment. I have the benefit of looking back and understanding but I can see a lot of similarities between me and the early disciples. God at times has had to hit me over the head to get my attention. I pray that each of us in this walk together will draw closer to the one that can give us life.

John 16-17

I am struck by the fact that Jesus makes a point to tell us that he has overcome the world. At times in my life it seems that all is going wrong and everything I do seems to backfire. There have been times at work that I seem to be spinning my wheels. It is in these times that I just want to check out and go home to be with the Lord but these words are comforting to me because in them I remember that Jesus has already overcome this world and has prayed for me that I can get his work done in it. I pray that as each of us walk out this life here that we will remember that we are not alone and that Jesus has already overcome this world no matter what it looks like.

That catches us up to the point that I am at. I will post more as I go.

No comments: