Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Christmas Story

Where would my blog be if I did not take time out to talk about the greatest single event in all of history? I know what you are thinking what could be more important than the cross and Easter and in some respects I would have to agree but if Jesus had not come as a baby then there would be no cross. When you think of the Christmas story what sort of things come to mind? (Shepherds, Wise men, Angels, Star, Mary, Joseph, A baby) All of these would be correct but I like to think a little deeper which I am sure to all who know me this comes as no surprise. You see I think of the separation that we had from God and the expanse would have separated us from him forever if it had not been for Jesus coming across that expanse and dwelling among us. I think that we can sometimes look at this birth as just another birth but when we really think about what it took for God to not merely direct history but enter into our history it should give each of us a pause. It was no small thing for Jesus to lay aside part of himself and take on flesh to save us from ourselves. That is right Jesus took on flesh to save us from our own selves. He gave up his rights so that we could have rights. He came to set us free from our own prison that we created. I know what you are thinking it is Adams fault for our condition but think about what you have done in your lifetime that has been worthy of Gods judgement but instead God knew that we needed him so he broke into our history and saved us. So when I think about Christmas i do not just see a baby but I see a God that intervened to help rescue me from myself. So when I think about the birth of my savior, I reflect upon what it cost him to come here to save a wretch like me. May we each remember that this little baby was God incarnate coming to rescue us from our condition making a way for us to reach God and be with him forever. So if you do not know this Jesus I implore you to get to know him and let him rescue you from yourself so that you can experience a freedom like no other. May God bless you all during this Christmas season

No comments: