Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Intimacy with Christ

I have often wondered just exactly how one goes about becoming intimate with Christ. How does one become so close to Jesus that there is a solid connection all the time. We are told in scripture to draw close to him and he will draw close to us. The problem is that there is no set formula to make this happen. In Terry Wardle's book Outrageous Love Transforming Power he addresses this issue in chapter 3. He states "The goal of our faith is a dynamic relationship with Jesus, not an accumulation of facts and beliefs." How you true of a statement and one that probably goes without saying but does it. I know that in my own life there are times that I have rated my relationship with Jesus and my faith to nothing more than that of a creed. Intellectually I know all these facts about Jesus and hold to certain beliefs, but that does not equate into a relationship with him. For me to have that dynamic relationship or for anyone to have it means that we will need to spend quality time with Jesus. Terry gives some suggestions on how to make it work but in all his suggestions he never tells anyone that if you follow these then somehow you will be intimate with Jesus rather this experience has taught me that if I follow these suggestions then I have a greater chance of establishing an intimate bond between us. So just how does one establish intimacy with Jesus by spending time with him and allowing the Holy Spirit to make the connective bond.

No comments: